Pages

Wednesday 12 July 2017

Winter Learning Journey: Day 5

Day #5: One step at a time…..


Activity 1:
There were lots of trees and plants which I hadn’t seen before. The smell and sound of the park was so beautiful and after admiring a very unusual looking tree for a long while, I  turned to ask Curious Kiwi what the strange looking tree was and then I noticed that there was no sign of my group and Curious Kiwi. Then I realised that I was lost! So there I stood, no clue about my surroundings in a place I had never been before, hoping my group would realise that I was lost and would come find me. Minutes past and dawn was slowly approaching and that was when I started panicking and I was extremely petrified, even the slightest sound of a bird swooping past scared the life out of me. The day started to become darker and scarier. I was very confused and didn’t know what to do. I called out to my friends but there was no reply. I was starting to get tired and hungry. I walked for a few more minutes and then realised that I’d gone too deep into the reserve. Then out of nowhere I could see a faint light down the creek bed, as it got closer I had no idea what to think of it “ should I run or should I see where the light is coming from?” The light quickly shined on me and tears filled my eyes as I realised it was a search and rescue helicopter circling above, I waved my arms to get its attention and I was seen…….


Helen ClarkActivity 2:
Helen Clark
I chose Helen Clark because I admire her wondrous works both in New Zealand and across the world.
Helen Elizabeth Clark was born on the 26th of February, 1950 (67 years of age) in Hamilton. Helen served nine years as a former prime minister of New Zealand (1999-2008). She also was the first women to lead the United Nations organisation and was the chairperson of UN development programme from 2009 till April this year, the United Nations development group is a committee that includes the heads of all the UN funds, programme and department working on development issues such as putting an end to extreme poverty and hunger, achieving universal primary education, promoting gender equality, empowering women and reducing child mortality,  just to name a few. Helen advocated strongly for New Zealand’s  comprehensive programme determined to stop climate change.
Bonus Activity:
I would like to cycle the Otago Rail Trail one day, it sounds fun and it would be nice to spend it with my family and enjoy the natural scenery that Otago has to offer. 



2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora, Philomena
    I admire the way you have presented your work about Helen Clark, and teaching me more information about famous kiwis around Aotearoa. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Philomena (and Kayla),

    I also really admire the way that you presented the information about our former prime minister. Helen Clark is a very special woman. She is the longest serving female prime minister of our country and definitely one to admire and respect. I follow her career with interest as well.

    My understanding is that Helen stepped down from her role with the United Nations in April and has yet to declare (publicly) what her next step will be. I suppose that we'll have to wait and see...

    I hope that you have enjoyed the blogging programme. We have certainly enjoyed blogging with you and can't wait to see what you write next!

    Keep up the great work, Philomena :)

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.